Sunday, September 9, 2012

Challenges Revealed

I can post photos of my challenge entries in the Rose City Quilters Celebration of Quilts. Our 30th anniversary. My first quilt had a background, a la Gloria Loughman, and oyster shells handmade from a brown paper bag. It is titled: A Pearl for Me ... and the artist's statement went: ... and a pearl for you! Beach combing at it's finest!
The sponge is made from some French knitting I had lying around - it just needed a little painting for correct colour!
I won  Merit ribbon for this entry!
My other entry is titled: Celebrating 30 years of Quilting. The artist's statement went: Take a piece of plain cotton, or leftover party dress fabric, a straight stitch, decorative thread and a pleasing design. Enjoy the transformation!
Arum lilies on the right hand border, roses in the bottom, and one of the Maori designs is called Kano which means 'seed', so I stitched pearls in each.
Celebrating 30 years of Quilting
Reverse - stitched on cotton
The top border has a couple of fantails sitting on a branch of kowhai, the large Maori design on the left is called Raranga which means weave, and the other design is called Manawa, which means heart. I quilted it with green variegated rayon, because green is supposed to be the colour for 30th anniversary (along with pearls and lily).
My quilting colleague Liz also won a Merit for one of her entries (she is in the Advanced category), and my friend Lynette won first prize for her entry in the Intermediate category. Congratulations, lovely ladies!


4 comments:

tizart said...

Congratulations Erilyn!!!! Loved both of you challenges!!!!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Can't quite decide which of your quilts I loved more....your wholecloth quilted one is especially beautiful.

Erilyn said...

Thank you! As much as I don't like satin quilts - I do like the wholecloth very much! It's going to hang in the hallway for a time :)

Serabelle said...

WOOHOOOOO!!! Congratulations! Well deserved. Your attention to detail is exquisite. love the textures and use of paper