Sunday, January 22, 2012

Free Motion Quilting - Reversed

I bet that got you thinking! I have stitched this block from the back using crochet cottons in the bobbin. I had already pinned my three layers together, but then had a thought (I know - it can be a dangerous thing - thoughts!) that perhaps if I FMQ a leaf design with a fancy thread I could fill-in the leaves with paint - see what my talented colleague Liz has done here - I rather like it! When I looked through my fancy threads, there wasn't anything suitable in greens or autumn colours, but I liked the sheen and mix of colours on the two chosen crochet cottons.
You have to carefully wind the thicker threads on to the bobbin - I managed this on the machine, but at a slower pedal speed. Also it pays to wind on several bobbins - I used 2 in this 11 inch square! I would recommend stitching a sample first to check the tension. The bobbin holder needs to have the screw loosened (with this thickness, it was one complete turn, and don't forget to tighten it when you have finished using the thread!) to allow the threads to move through the tensioner freely.
Here is my stitched piece:
And now to 'paint' the leaves. I used my Derwent Inktense pencils with water to get a colour wash effect.
Follow through the next photos to see the variation in effects that can be achieved.
Pencil on dry fabric
A little water brushed over the pencil marks
Pencil on the damp fabric - can be further 'washed'
If you don't want a water-colour effect it pays to use Textile Medium. The colours are quite intense, just as if you are using paint. It is important to have the Textile Medium only painted on smaller areas that you are working on. You need to have it wet, not dry.
Now to let it dry :)

No comments: