Thursday, April 14, 2011

Anzac Day - We Will Remember Them

This year Anzac Day falls on Easter Monday - this is a once in 88 year's occurrence. We will be in Queenstown for the Remarkable Symposium and have decided to attend the Dawn Service in Wanaka. I will wear my Grandpop's medals for the first time (he received them for service in World War 1) - actually I don't think they have been worn for over 40 years! Derrick has got new ribbon for me and I had quite a job in getting the oxidation off the Victory Medal (it is brass). The other medal is silver and lemon juice worked very well for that.
The Victory Medal is the one with the rainbow ribbon and the British War Medal has the gold center with outer blue stripes. Mostly people show it with the reverse view, but we have checked and the King's head is the obverse view.
So I have made some Anzac biscuits - these are for Judy in Chicago. Judy, they are very nice, with a slight chewy center. You need to enjoy these with a good cuppa.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Yum! I wish I were there right now to have a biscuit and cuppa with you! I think I may have to pull out your recipe and make some Anzac biscuits myself ;-)

Erilyn said...

Do it! They are so nice!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Have a wonderful time at Symposium. Look forward to hearing all about it when you return :-)

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

so lovely to meet you Erilyn,
thank you for calling into my shop, it was so lovely to see you, I am hoping to maske it over to Queenstown to see the exhibitions,... have fun!

Ruth said...

Your post made tears come into my eyes! So glad your going to be wearing your Grandpop's medals. They will be remembered.
Best wishes
Ruth